Saturday, April 24, 2010

it's true what they say

Steve and i have been married for 31 1/2 years. I've always heard that the longer a couple stays together, the more they look like each other, and the more their lives become intertwined. on the first point, I'll have to disagree, because Steve and i look nothing alike. he is slim and trim. i am, well,,Reubenesque, to put it in a kinder and gentler way. he is gray and balding (sorry, honey), while i have gracefully kept my original hair color, and most of it....so far. on the second point, though, I'm here to state that after 30+ years of marriage, my husband and i are completely and intrinsically melded. and most of the time, that is a wonderful and magical state of being. after being with someone for so long, i don't have to explain much to hubby anymore. he knows exactly what ticks me off, he knows when to tune me out, he knows when to be contrite and repentent, har har. and the same on my end. i am SO thankful that God has given me such a wonderful mate. he's been a loving and responsible provider. but...and i only write this because, well, i'm bored today....there is also a truth about long-married life that i haven't heard a whole lot of people speaking or writing about. it is the phenomenon of, let's call it,,separation anxiety...on the part of the husband. example: today i decided to go shopping. at first, steve said he would go with, but i warned him that i wanted to do some REAL shopping,,like clothing, toiletries, etc. and i warned him that when he sits in the truck, supposedly patiently waiting, it only gives me anxiety. so, in the end, he decided to stay home. (yay) i told him i'd probably be gone for 2-3 hours. note: he usually doesn't give me his est. time of return when he goes off somewhere,,but thats okay! so, off i went,,happily free of all fetters. after two hours, i called him to report that i was leaving belks and going on to the grocery store. then i decided to stop at walgreens and the traffic was hideous because the bridge downtown was open, so by the time i did walgreens and the grocery, another hour had passed. i was on my way home, and i KNEW that steve would be starting to wonder about my eta. sure enough, the phone rang, and he asked me if i was "making it okay." God bless him. i know i should be so grateful that i have someone who cares where i am. and i am, believe me! but...what if i had wanted to spend the entire afternoon out shopping? i guess i could have just called and told him, and that is okay too! just every once in awhile...i have the desire to leave the house whenever i want and return whenever i want. but...it's true what they say.....a long marriage binds husband and wife soul to soul, body to body, and your thoughts belong to each other. and i guess that that is a GOOD THING.

3 comments:

laura beth said...

Gah I dont want to think what Daddy would ever do without you...or many husbands for that matter.
Jake already does it to me and its not even been a year, he'll call after about an hour of me being out....

Freethehumanbeings said...

It's nice that he cares so much. The loner in me still likes time when I don't have to answer to anybody. I think I'll always struggle with that.

suzanne said...

i guess we should feel blessed and loved. i think it must be a common struggle for women. we really DO set the tone for our homes,,,and we have influence over our husbands that they don't even realize!